*Recommened for Patients/Advocates
Advances in Animal Models
- How have approaches to animal models evolved in rare disease research and explore what advocates need to know to evaluate animal models in their own disease state/community?
- What are animal models used for and what are the most common animal models?
- What are new animal models that are being explored and showing potential in rare disease and beyond?
- What do you need to know before you start looking for an animal model?
- How do you evaluate the right animal model for your disease state?
- How long will it take to develop an animal model and how much will it cost?
Understanding Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSC) in Disease Modeling
- Learn what patients and advocates need to know to evaluate using iPSCs in their disease state/research activities Explore iPSCs role in preclinical research and where they can reduce reliance animal models
- Discuss how iPSCs can be a tool to de-risk and validate research for clinical studies
- Define iPSC cell lines and their role in preclinical research o Review timelines and costs related to developing and validating iPSCs
- Explore opportunities for advocates to utilize iPSCs in their early research
Pitfalls in Animal Models: What Do You Do When Your Mouse Model Doesn’t Work/Case Study